UA Science is recruiting undergraduate Field Study Mentors to work with students in grades 8-12 to develop and execute field-based research projects for the regional science fair, run by the Southern Arizona Research, Science, and Engineering Foundation (SARSEF). This is a unique opportunity to gain experience with science education and communication. Training will be provided for effective mentoring of students, along with support throughout the mentoring process and feedback to mentors on improving facilitation, teaching, and scientific process skills.
Mentors will benefit by:
· Improving their ability to communicate scientific information and model science-related career skills
· Enhancing their ability to inspire, engage, and educate youth in STEM
· Building their organizational skills while helping mentees organize their projects
· Gaining experience engaging with local environments and land managers
· Developing a better `sense of place' of the Tucson region, with particular attention to the natural and cultural history of the region